Healthy Tuna Melt
What to do when one gets a hankering for a tuna melt?
I know that some of us aren’t big tuna fans, but if you love it like I do, you also know that it can be loaded with calories and carbs when made into a sandwich or melt.
Check out this recipe to make a healthier version of the classic tuna melt that will certainly support a balanced macro (carbs, fat, protein) ratio for the day.
- 6 oz can of albacore tuna (in water), drained and flaked
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 Tablespoons diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons low-fat shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend all of the ingredients (except the cheese) in a bowl.
- Form two patties.
- In a frying pan, cook one side until brown and then turn. When the second side is nearly done, sprinkle cheese over it.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce and top with a slice or two of tomato. Sometimes I’ll add a little sliced avocado as well...